Exfoliation is essential to maintaining vibrant, healthy skin. While the skin typically performs this on its own, occasionally it needs some support by way of mechanical (physical) or chemical exfoliators, especially as we age. If your a person that wears foundation or heavy make-up daily, a scrub will definitely help keep your skin looking and feeling fresh. Scrubs are the most misused skin products among consumers and it’s important to know how often you should use them.
What constitutes a scrub?
In general terms a scrub is a formula containing an abrasive ingredient used to buff and polish skin, soften and lift dead skin cells, and provide a second-phase deep cleanse. There are a number of different types used for varying purposes.
Primary forms range from pumice to jojoba beads, and diatomaceous earth to pearl powder and bamboo.
- Jojoba beads – one of the gentlest exfoliators, it is essentially jojoba oil made into minute beads, which does not stress or tear the skin. Joboba beads will naturally allow the oil to melt into the skin to further soften sebum and skin cells.
- Diatomaceous earth – a naturally occurring, soft rock with an abrasive feel similar to pumice powder. It is a purified form of algae in a fine grain.
- Bamboo – contains the richest source of silica, a silicon and oxygen compound also found in many rocks and the earth’s crust. The powder is derived from ground bamboo stems – it works for both facial and body scrubs.
- Pearl powder – finely milled from freshwater pearls, which are rich in minerals and provide antibacterial, detoxification and skin-nourishing properties.
- Pumice – a highly porous, very light stone created from lava, it is a more abrasive granular.
Best scrubbing practices
All great treatments – in the spa and at home – begin with proper cleansing. Remember the goal is to remove all surface residue, creating a clean surface without over-drying or agitating the skin. Following a cleanse, a scrub may be used as an optional phase-two cleanse to begin surface exfoliation.
For home use, I like to provide clients with a specific scrub regimen and a few important tips, including:
- Use will vary based on skin type, ranging from daily to once per week
- Use caution not to over scrub
- Do not use around the eye area
- Rinse several times to remove all of the grains
Use a clean white cloth to remove the scrub. Continue rinsing until the skin is clean and cloth doesn’t show any residue.
There are also a few tricks and tips for getting more out of scrubs too. For example, when using a body scrub apply it to dry skin first and work in for a few minutes before wetting it down. This allows the actives to penetrate the skin and the granulars will be more effective in removing dead skin cells.
For facial scrubs, start with a cleansed face and use damp hands to massage the beads into the skin for several minutes. For men, gentle scrubs using jojoba beads can be worked into lather and used in place of a shaving cream for extra exfoliation.
When to use caution
As with anything when it comes to skin, scrubs are not a one-size-fits all. For instance, for Rosacea skin only very soft jojoba based bead are recommended, and depending on the severity, a scrub might not be used at all. My recommendation for a soft scrub would be CLARIFYING BEADS by Rhonda Allision. Quick video below.
Choosing a scrub also depends on the purpose and end goal. An antibacterial scrub once per day will work well with thick, acne-prone skin. My recommendation would be BETA ACTION SCRUB by Rhonda Allison. Quick video below.
Mild scrubs with brightening and lightening properties used once per week will suit normal to dry skin better. My recommendation for a mild scrub would be BRIGHTENING SCRUB by Rhonda Allison. Quick video below.
Facials, Peels, Skin Care Products, Brazilian Body Waxing, Skin Correction, Male Grooming, Men’s Waxing, Transgender Waxing, Male Brazilians, Female Brazilians, Skin Peels, Facials, Acne Treatments, Hyperpigmentated Skin, Oily Skin, Dry Skin, Aging Skin, Specializing in Clincal Skincare by Rhonda Allison
See what other people are saying about NAKED….
160 GENBOOK reviews here
18 GOOGLE reviews here
9 YELP reviews here
11 INSIDER PAGES reviews here
146 CITYSEARCH reviews here