What causes ingrown hairs? Ingrown hairs are an inflammation of the hair follicle. It is a common condition of the skin, and it can occur on any hair-bearing part of the body at any age. Typically it appears as an eruption of skin that surrounds a hair or hair pore. When the damaged follicle becomes infected with bacteria, it is known as folliculitis, which results in inflammation of the skin. Bacterial folliculitis can become more widespread or develop into a more severe infection and may scar. To minimize the risk of getting infected follicles regularly changing your razor and if you wax make sure your salon is clean and hygienic.
Ingrown hairs usually begin with shaving – most of the time it get’s worse when shaving in different directions of hair growth. The combination of topical products containing alcohols and stripping ingredients can also cause more sebum production and more problems, so it’s important to choose a quality product. With more sebum production follicles can get congested with dirt, oil and excess skin cells that could lead to infection - that’s why exfoliation is really important for keeping skin renewed and clean - not just for good skin - but for new hair growth as well.
Hair follicles can also get damaged by friction from clothing and from certain waxes, so if you’re prone to ingrown hairs — shop for loose fitting clothing with 100% cotton to keep the skin breathing and find a place that uses a good quality wax. Hard waxes are the easiest on the skin and most strip waxes can be more aggressive and cause breakage to the follicle and increase chances of ingrowns. Both waxes I use in my treatment room are high quality and don’t normally promote ingrown hairs.
If you want to remove ingrown hairs it’s best to leave it to the professional. Picking, squeezing may result in scarring and further spread of bacterial infections but if you do attempt removal make sure you are using a topical antimicrobial and a sterile lancet.
In my skin practice I recommend the following products:
- A salicylic scrub – Beta Action Scrub by Rhonda Allison is my favorite - for bikini areas you must make sure the application with any beta or alpha hydroxy acids stays in the pubic area. Only use 3-4 times a week.
- Daily use of a antimicrobial topical/cleanser – my favorite is Revitae Antimicrobial Cleanser - gentle enough to use everyday, the ingredients are natural including aloe for skin recovery. Excellent topical for after shaving in all areas of the body. Awesome cleanser to replacing shaving cream – great for beards and bikini areas and it really works!
- A combination of alpha/beta hydroxy’s like lactic, salicylic and glycolic used as an antiseptic daily to clean the area of sebum, bacteria and keeps skin cells renewed and clear for new hair growing through the hair follicle. One product I recommend is Fruit Acid Botanical by Rhonda Allison. It’s very strong and must be used with caution. Never used it right after the shower – the pores must be closed and the skin dry and use only in the pubic area keeping away from the scrotum or the vagina. I also heard that PFB vanish is another very good alternative to a topical.
- Wear 100% cotton and/or loose fitting clothing.
- Another sure way to prevent ingrowns completely is Laser Hair Removal which uses laser light to destroy the hair follicles, preventing re-growth. If this procedure is successful, ingrown hairs will be eliminated. This service I will be offering in the very near future and very excited about!
Ingrowns can be painful and unattractive. The best course of action is to follow the recommendations listed above and remember with any kind of skin care regiment it’s important to be consistent if you want changes.
As always, thanks for visiting,
Brazilian Body Waxing, Skin Correction, Male Grooming, Men’s Waxing, Transgender Waxing, Male Brazilians, Female Brazilians, Skin Peels, Facials, Acne Treatments, Hyperpigmentated Skin, Oily Skin, Dry Skin, Aging Skin, Specializing in Clincal Skincare and Dermaplaning.
See what other people are saying about NAKED….
136 GENBOOK reviews here
15 GOOGLE reviews here
6 YELP reviews here
11 INSIDER PAGES reviews here
146 CITYSEARCH reviews here