Cellulite is the uneven layer of fat underneath the skin tissue. It is often seen as dimpled skin and can be found on the entire body, and its most common in the hip, thigh and lower body region. While cellulite is not relegated solely to women, it is more common in women than men for a few specific reasons. For one, the arrangement of the fibrous connective tissue that adheres the skin to the muscle beneath is different in women than men. Testosterone, the prominent hormone in men, stimulates the production of proteins and creates a denser layer of the connective tissue. Since men tend to have thicker skin, cellulite is not as easily seen.
At one time in my life I’ve reached a weight of 205 lbs and from that experience I found that diet and exercise does play a critical role in fighting cellulite. Losing fat and strengthening the muscles can go a long way in improving the appearance of dimpled skin in the legs, thighs, buttocks and abdomen. Being in the skin industry I’ve witnessed clients becoming very discouraged in some of their treatment choices. One client chose Liposuction only to end up disappointed because she never changed what she ate or what she did - the cellulite came back. Like most of us we want a quick fix and it’s easy to believe that a certain cream or a lotion and even some laser treatments can work. I certainly believe it can help in addition to starting with the basics – change your eating habits and your activity level.
LEAVE THE SUGAR ALONE
Removing sugar in my diet changed how my skin looked from my face to my entire body. I really believe sugar is the biggest culprit for cellulite and contributes to other health problems too. It’s bad for the skin because of a natural process called glycation. The sugar in your bloodstream attaches to proteins to form harmful new molecules called advanced glycation end products. The more sugar you eat, the more AGEs you develop. “As AGEs accumulate, they damage adjacent proteins in a domino-like fashion” according to Fredric Brandt, MD, a dermatologist in private practice in Miami and New York City.
The most vulnerable to damage is collagen and elastin, the protein fibers that keep skin firm and elastic. In fact, collagen is the most prevalent protein in the body. Once damaged, springy and resilient collagen and elastin become dry and brittle, leading to wrinkles and sagging. AGEs also deactivate your body’s natural antioxidant enzymes, leaving you more vulnerable to sun damage.
What’s the problem with removing sugar? – our palate is conditioned to it – and it’s in a big part of our food sources, it’s in simple things like ketchup and sauces. You really have to pay attention to labels and eat as clean as possible. Sugar can be really difficult to quit. It’s like giving up a drug. The first week is probably the hardest but if you keep at it you’ll really notice how much better you look and feel. And before you know with diet changes and a consistent work out program, you’ll notice the celluite will disappear.
A NEW BEGINNING
Some of the best and inexpensive ways to help yourself begin a new program of reducing cellulite -
- Weight training. Never be afraid to give your muscles some resistance, a woman cannot look like a man naturally - we don’t have the testosterone to develop massive muscle tissue.
- Reduce carb intake – no carbs after 2:00p.m. get your body to use fat stores for fuel.
- Remove all refined sugars including alcohol.
- Exfoliating your body with a scrub will help stimulate collagen production and cell turnover.
- Get a colonic it will help to detox and flush toxins out of the body.
- Make sure your getting good fiber for eliminating.
- Since the human body cannot manufacter vitamin C – taking a daily dose can help strenghthen connective tissue and rebuild the cells.
- Make an appointment once a month for a massage to reduce stress, release lactic build up in the tissues and help keep the lymphatic system working properly.
- Water. Never underestimate the power of water. Drink plenty of it!
Wishing you the best of health…stay beautiful…. and thanks for visiting! Have a fab day everyone! Marianne
Brazilian Body Waxing, Skin Correction, Male Grooming, Men’s Waxing, Transgender Waxing, Male Brazilians, Female Brazilians, Skin Peels, Facials, Acne Treatments, Hyperpigmentated Skin, Oily Skin, Dry Skin, Aging Skin, Specializing in Clincal Skincare and Dermaplaning.